700 Boylston Street
Phone: (617) 536 - 5400 x 2356
Fax: (617) 266 - 4673
Closing Date: Open until filled
Title: Branch Librarian
Location: Mattapan Branch
Salary Range: $41,677 - $56,256 DOQ.
Basic Function: Under direction of the Director of Public Services and the Director of Operations, to assume responsibility for the administration and programs of a branch library.
1. Executes the policies and practices of the Library as they pertain to the Branch Library.
2. Assumes primary responsibility in one service area or more, depending on current staffing and community needs, when necessary.
3. Provides reference and readers' advisory services, and programs which may involve all age groups.
4. Stimulates library use for all age groups within a defined neighborhood, through the development of programs, collections and community outreach.
5. Supervises the development and maintenance of the branch library's collections within the framework of Library policies.
6. Supervises, trains and develops each staff member to realize his/her full potential and use that developed potential to provide the best library service.
7. Works collegially with other Branch Librarians, department heads and staff throughout the library.
8. Demonstrates familiarity with and ability to apply collective bargaining agreements, as needed, to carry out the responsibilities as supervisor of branch staff.
9. Maintains the appropriate liaisons with regard to the Branch building.
10. Maintains working relationships with Friends of the Library, educational institutions, churches, social and community groups, and businesses in the community served.
11. Assumes responsibility for administering funds within the Branch.
12. Makes oral presentations and written reports on activities within the Branch.
13. Actively participates in system-wide committees, training and other professional activities.
14. Represents the Library on citywide and statewide committees, if called upon to do so.
15. Performs other related and/or comparable duties as required.
Qualifications: A bachelor's degree from a recognized college or university and a master's degree in library science from an accredited library school. In exceptional instances, specialized education, training and/or experience may be substituted for part or all of the educational requirements.
Four years of pertinent professional library experience and/or any equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience sufficient to indicate ability to do the work.
Administrative insight and broad professional outlook; demonstrated progressive, professional development; broad knowledge of library policies, practices and procedures and willingness and ability to execute them effectively; extensive knowledge of book and non-book materials; comprehensive knowledge of bibliographical tools and sources; demonstrated knowledge of appropriate technology; broad knowledge of library collections; proven skills in oral and written communications; superior ability and willingness to assume responsibility; initiative in generating new ideas; proven ability to plan and supervise the work of others; continuing interest in and ability to improve existing work techniques and procedures; demonstrated ability to work successfully with staff and public alike; commitment to library leadership within the neighborhood served; willingness and proven ability to work with patrons of all age groups; professional demeanor; tact, dependability, good judgment and courtesy.
Benefits: The Boston Public Library offers a generous benefits package including up to six weeks of vacation, fifteen sick days, personal time, group health which is 90% employer paid, guaranteed pension plan, deferred compensation opportunities, and professional development.
Requirements: Must be a Resident of the City of Boston upon First Day of Hire.
Please send Resume and Cover Letter (indicating where you located the vacancy) to:
Boston Public Library
Attention: Human Resources
700 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02117
Or Fax to:
(617) 266 - 4673
Or Email to: