700 Boylston Street
Phone: (617) 859 - 2356
Fax: (617) 266 - 4673
$61,574 to $83,117 annually, depending on experience
Under the general direction of the Chief of Public Services, provides leadership to community library services within the framework of goals, policies and procedures established by the Board of Library Trustees and the Strategic Process Team. Works closely with all parts of the organization to ensure excellent public service delivery. Member of the Senior Management Team.
Education Bachelor Degree from an accredited college or university and a Masters Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited library school.
10 years of related library experience, including 5 years at a supervisory and/or management level, which reflects initiative and responsiveness to the dynamic nature of public library services.
Adaptability; self-directed; ability to organize and delegate competing priorities; an open-honest communicator who inspires trust and one who seeks and sparks creative contributions from others.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
1. Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of public library work.
2. Knowledge of library trends and best practices for superior service delivery.
3. Demonstrated ability and willingness to lead teams and work in teams, to analyze professional and managerial problems and recommend workable solutions, and to organize work effectively and direct personnel.
4. Considerable knowledge of teens, seniors and childrens interests and needs, and a broad knowledge of books, authors and non-book materials and online resources for these groups. Knowledge of world languages, literacy and assistive technology resources.
5. Superior oral and written communication skills.
6. Experience in hiring and evaluating staff.
7. Exceptional interpersonal skills and creative problem solving ability.
8. A sense of humor and a positive and enthusiastic approach to public services and library leadership.
9. Experience working with special library client groups.
The Boston Public Library offers a generous benefits package including up to six weeks of vacation, fifteen sick days, personal time, group health which is 90% employer paid, 100% employer paid dental/vision plan, guaranteed pension plan, deferred compensation opportunities, and professional development.
Must be a Resident of the City of Boston upon first day of hire.
How to apply:
Please send letter of application (indicating where you located this vacancy), resume, and references to Boston Public Library, Attention: Human Resources, 700 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02116. Fax 617 / 266 4673. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Or apply in person at the Human Resources Office - 3rd floor.
We embrace diversity and affirmative action. An EEO/AA/ADA employer.