700 Boylston Street
Phone: (617) 859 - 2356
Fax: (617) 266-4673
Salary Range: $67,870 to $91,625 annually, depending on experience
Under the general direction of the Chief of Public Services, and within the framework of goals, policies and procedures established by the Board of Library Trustees and the Strategic Process Team, provides leadership to the systems neighborhood branches to ensure the best possible library resources and services are provided in the citys neighborhoods. Works closely with all parts of the organization to ensure excellent public service delivery. Member of the Senior Management Team.
Education - A bachelors degree from an accredited college or university, and a masters degree in library science from an ALA accredited library school.
Experience - Ten years of related library experience, including five years at a supervisory and/or management level, which reflects initiative and responsiveness to the dynamic nature of neighborhood services.
Desired attributes - Adaptability; self-directed; ability to organize and delegate competing priorities; an open-honest communicator who inspires trust and one who seeks and sparks creative contributions from others.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
1. Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of public library work.
2. Knowledge of library trends and best practices for superior service delivery.
3. Demonstrated ability and willingness to lead teams and work in teams, to analyze professional and managerial problems and recommend workable solutions, and to organize work effectively and direct personnel.
4. Considerable knowledge of user interests and needs, and a broad knowledge of books, authors and non-book materials and online resources.
5. Superior oral and written communication skills.
6. Experience in hiring and evaluating staff.
7. Excellent interpersonal skills and creative problem-solving ability.
8. A sense of humor and a positive and enthusiastic approach to public services and library leadership.
9. Substantial experience in a multicultural urban environment, and in collaborative work with community groups and organizations. Specific experience in the planning, development, and management of neighborhood level facilities, collections, programs, and services; recruitment, supervision, and development of staff; and the application of technology to operations and services.
The Boston Public Library offers a generous benefits package including up to six weeks of vacation, fifteen sick days, personal time, group health which is 90% employer paid, 100% employer paid dental/vision plan, guaranteed pension plan, deferred compensation opportunities, and professional development.
Requirements: Must be a Resident of the City of Boston upon first day of hire.
How to apply:
Please send letter of application (indicating where you located this vacancy), resume, and references to Boston Public Library, Attention: Human Resources, 700 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02116. Fax 617 / 266 4673. Email email@example.com. Or apply in person at the Human Resources Office - 3rd floor.
We embrace diversity and affirmative action. An EEO/AA/ADA employer.